Friday, March 16, 2012

Right Hand Red, Left Foot Yellow...

So, the other day my mom and I scored a most A-MA-ZING deal from Urban Dealight. For those not familiar Urban Dealight sends daily deals to subscribers based on your city of residence.  
The best thing about sites like Urban Dealight, it gives cash strapped people such as myself the opportunity to try new experiences at a discounted price. Okay, getting back to the deal we scored...


25 yoga classes for $25!!!

As a yoga newbie this deal thrilled me to the core! Yoga always peaked my interest, but it seemed like a frivolous purchase, so I dismissed the notion of me and yoga ever becoming one. 
I had a general idea of the what yoga entailed and once or twice I unsuccessfully tried it at home.  Well thanks to Urban Dealight, I partook in my first yoga class...EVER! This past Monday, my mom and I summed up enough courage to to attempt Yoga Foundation 1. 
I must admit as soon as I stepped foot in class with my mat snug underarm I felt intimidated. My mom and I quickly disputed about where to set up camp, so to speak. I spied some prime yoga real estate in the BACK of the room, but my mom wanted to set-up in the front of the class. 

I firmly whispered, "No way!" and made a beeline to the back. After unrolling my mat, I sat there anxiously waiting for class to commence. The yogi entered and took her place. Soon soft, tranquil, relaxing music filled the room and so began an hour and half long game of Twister! 
Right hand red, left foot yellow...I spent a majority of the class twisted like a pretzel!  I thought CrossFit challenged my body. Yoga, asked my body to contort and bend like a Cirque du Soleil performer.  


Nevertheless, I found the class thoroughly engaging and engrossing! The hour and a half flew by. As I lay there at the end of the class in my Savasana pose I thought to myself, wow...go me. I moved past my fear of yoga AND my trepidation of attempting new undertakings outside my comfort zone. 
Although I found the experience physically challenging, learning how to breathe and quiet my body helped me gain some sort of spiritual enlightenment. As I continue to take classes I aim to focus on my breathing & broadening my spiritual awakening.  Hopefully my new found inner peace and breathing techniques decrease my instances of road rage. FYI, I drive like a Cullen.


So the moral to this story...


During class, I am more than sure I looked a hot ass mess. But ask me if I care? Umm..no. NO, I do NOT care how foolish I appeared while striking yoga poses. Looking a hot ass mess is better than never attempting yoga at all. 


Like the saying goes...
"Every accomplishment starts with decision to try....BOOM!"
By the way, I added the BOOM at the end of the saying.


Is there something outside your comfort zone you want to try?

8 comments:

  1. Awesome, I'm glad you had a good time ! I would like to try yoga but the idea of being in sweats/top in front of other people is dreadful to me.
    However, as strange as it may seem, I want to go swimming…Me ? Weird ? Nah! ;-)
    Happy Monday !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cool! I'm not so great at yoga, but I probably need to give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How brave of you to try yoga. I've always declined every invitation to a class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yoga always peaked my interest, but it seemed like a frivolous purchase, so I dismissed the notion of me and yoga ever becoming one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, I added the BOOM at the end of the saying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it gives cash strapped people such as myself the opportunity to try new experiences at a discounted price.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I continue to take classes I aim to focus on my breathing & broadening my spiritual awakening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stepped foot in class with my mat snug underarm I felt intimidated. My mom and I quickly disputed about where to set up camp

    ReplyDelete

First off all, THANKS for stopping by and for those of you following...THANKS for following AND indulging my MADNESS. Please feel free to holla back or provide your 2¢. I WILL TRY to respond to ALL comments via email. AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT!

Join the "CUTE as a BUNNY Weight Loss Challenge"

Join the "CUTE as a BUNNY Weight Loss Challenge"
Grab a Button!

Tales from the scale

Total Pageviews

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.