Monday, February 8, 2010

Motivation Makeover (Pt. 2): My Playlist

Last Friday...
Prior to my workout, I made a mental list of 318 things I wanted to do besides workout. #1 on the list...NOT work out. After much procrastinating and walking around with one shoe on for 30 minutes I made my way to the gym and reluctantly stepped on the treadmill.

I touched the play button on my iTouch , hit the GO button on the treadmill, and proceeded to trudge along for 1 long, excruciating hour.

AND THEN...just as I started to jump off the treadmill, Bodies by Drowning Pool started blaring through the headphones AND THEN...SHAZAAM! I cranked the speed up to 4.5 (that's fast for me...lol) and took off like a streak of lightening.

For me, music makes the world of difference when working out. The music either makes or breaks my workout!

In keeping with my Motivation Makeover theme, I decided to redo my workout play list. Below, I listed my favorite songs by "genre". My taste varies and you may not like it, so keep an opened mind. Take a peek:


GENRE: Songs that...GET THE  PARTY STARTED. These songs generally begin the process of krunkin' me up to workout. GET KRUNK Y'ALL!
Krunkin': The act of being krunk.
Krunk: Drunk+Crazy = Krunk; also used to describe a very fun or enjoyable time.

"Get the Party Started Songs" include but are not limited to the following:
  • Banquet by Bloc Party
  • Let's Get It Started by The Black Eyed Peas (BEP)
  • Hey Ya! by OutKast
 And my forever all-time favorite PARTY STARTER...Junior Kickstart by The Go! Team.  This song really gets me moving on the treadmill. I pretend to take on the role of Ms. Pac Man as I try to escape from the ghost. Huh, you say??? Watch the video and you'll see... 

GENRE: Songs that ...MAKE ME WANNA PUNCH SOMEONE IN THE FACE! 
The songs intensify my anger from running and running and running and running on the treadmill, but  never really going anywhere. Perhaps my anger stems from the fact that DAILY I realize I made me FAT and now I must PAY the price through sweat and tears.

These songs are not for the faint of heart:
  • Bulls on Parade by Rage Against the Machine
  • Given Up by Linkin Park
  • B.Y.O.B by System of a Down
  • Bodies by Drowning Pool
GENRE: Song that...MAKE ME STOP THE TREADMILL AND PERFORM A BOOTY POP!
Leading the pack, my new theme song...Video Phone by Beyonce. ft. Lady Gaga. In my mind, this song plays when I walk into a room..."Can you handle it?"
Rounding out my BOOTY POP favs:
  • BOOM BOOM POW by the Black Eyed Peas
  • How Low by Ludacris
  • Imma Be by Black Eyed Peas
  • Bidi Bidi Bom Bom by Selena
  • Calabria by Enur
GENRE: CALL 911 songs...
I call these songs my 911 emergency tunes. At the moment when I feel like giving up and waving my white flag in defeat, these songs energize or re-krunk me up to push through and keep it moving!!
  • Gonna Fly Now (The Theme from  Rocky) by Bill Conti
  • Mr. Brightside by The Killers
  • Jump by Van Halen
  • I Got a Feeling by Black Eyed Peas
  • Spider Webs by No Doubt
GENRE: Songs that...MAKE ME SAY..."BAM BIYOTCHES! HOW YA LIKE ME NOW!" 
I dedicate these  songs to all of the haters in my life: past, present, and future.
  • It's Me B****es! by Swizz Beatz
  • Ex-Girlfriend by No Doubt
  • Show Em What You Got by Jay Z
  • Swagger Like Us by T.I. feat. Kanye, Jay Z, etc.
  • Bad Girl by Dannity Kane
And  I love to "run" to the finale song from America's Next Top Model (ANTM).. In my own mind I AM ANTM...a real women with curves!

GENRE: WITNESS FITNESS songs that get me krunk for Jesus.

 Last but not least, I've included a few Gospel songs that help me get the job the done: First up...God In Me by Mary Mary
Other Witness Fitness favs:
  • Where You Are? by Dietrick Haddon
  • Lift Him Up by Hezekiah Walker
  • Looking For You by Kirk Franklin
  • Always by Jason Champion
Well folks that's just the tip of my workout play list iceberg.  
Please share some of your 
favorites with me!!

My Weight Watchers homework
Remember the challenge? Write down 2 positive statements:
  1. Instead of eating a bunch of super bowl junk food, I made healthy choices: buffalo chicken strips, homemade tortilla chips and salsa, and sliders.  I cooked my own food!!!
  2. When my kids and I went to CiCi's Pizza ( I received 2 free buffet's for being a good Samaritan), I used the stop, rest, ad assess method to ensure I didn't stuff myself.

10 comments:

  1. thanks for this blog!
    love your suggestions.

    this is my 911.
    Los Campesinos - You! Me! Dancing!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj6SO_yKMe8

    i know it starts off slow, but once it hits :40 there is no turning back. i love trying to keep up with the beat while running. it always gets my adrenaline going.

    i also love me some ting tings:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH6wpO66J4k

    and of course, for some girl power:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VFzJLK51cs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you broke it out into depends.on.my.mood genre's! AND...that BOOM BOOM POW totally makes me wanna do the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are hilarious! And can totally see you jamming...and falling off the treadmill! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very encouraging and inspirational!!! Just subscribed to your blog! Can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Music is definitely what gets me through my workouts. I love me some Lady Gaga and Black Eyed Peas. The more up tempo the better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, we have the same taste in music. I have Bodies by Drowning Pool on my iPod too and several of the other songs you listed, including several by Kirk Franklin (LOVE).......and congrats on your 2 Positives!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just started working out two months ago and my favorites are:

    Tight - Peter Ram (Trini rhythms do it every time)

    Dead and Gone - T.I. & Justin Timberlake (the old me is dead and gone, dead and gone...luv it!)

    Hey Ya! - Outkast (Shake it like a Polaroid Picture)

    B.O.B. - Outkast, when you are on a tredmill or eliptical, this gets you pumped!

    Crazy In Love - Beyonce (The "Uhh Ohh" can work the abs and booty)!

    Din Da Dah - forget who sings it, but this is a good hearbeat song!

    Wanna Be Starting Something - Michael Jackson (Mama Se Mamma Sa Ma Ma Coo Sa! Need I say more?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay I would sooo walk around the house in ONE shoe! I haven't started to exercise YET! but I know I will have to. Good for you for not giving up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my ipod! I just got it for Christmas and don't think I would have been able to keep up with an exercise plan this long without it! Music makes me go.

    I just rewarded my 10 pound loss with 10 itune downloads. I now have blackeyed peas and lady gaga on my playlists among all my country faves!

    barbgetshealthy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy I found your blog on SITS. I won a free yes I said free gym membership back in December and I have not taken my behind in to work out yet!! This is GREAT I will be following so keep it comimg!!

    ReplyDelete

First off all, THANKS for stopping by and for those of you following...THANKS for following AND indulging my MADNESS. Please feel free to holla back or provide your 2¢. I WILL TRY to respond to ALL comments via email. AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT!

Join the "CUTE as a BUNNY Weight Loss Challenge"

Join the "CUTE as a BUNNY Weight Loss Challenge"
Grab a Button!

Tales from the scale

Total Pageviews

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.