Saturday, June 20, 2009

Note to self...Always attend the 7:00 AM Weight Watchers Meeting




So ONEderland evaded me, and I gained .6 lbs (not bad). A tad disappointed with the results but, I survived. To add insult to injury, I overslept today and attended a Weight Watchers meeting provided at a later time. After the meeting, I remembered why I avoid attending at this particular time.


When working with or participating in activities with groups of people, certain personalities emerge. Carl Jung referred to these "personalities," as personas or masks. Our personas, sometimes a defense mechanism, allows us to display very little vulnerability when moving in and out of relationships. Okay enough of the psychology lesson (I guess I did learn something in college).


Okay so what is the significance of my psychology rant? Certain personas at the WW meetings create an annoying and sometimes unbearable atmosphere:
  • The Weight Loss Expert (a.k.a The Know-It-All Member): Uhhh...newsflash...If you know everything already, then you wouldn't be gracing us with your presence at each and every meeting. This member attempts to out talk the leader and always provides her 2 cents, or in some cases 10 cents. I very much want to stand up and say,"Jesus, Mary, and Joseph...will you please shut.the.HELL.up."


  • The Chit Chatters: "Ummmmm...SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!" These members hold sidebar conversation, often distracting other members. Today I observed the leader giving the talkers the "will you please shut the H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS (LL) UP side glance." Talkers, if your comments pertain to the discussion, then by all means...share. If not, then again SHUT IT! Some of us take this weight loss challenge seriously, and I personally do not care that your child's other football cleat went AWOL.
  • The Unamusing Comedian: "You're not funny." This member's ill timed barbs border on annoying and sometimes asinine. I'm no Maya Rudolph or Tina Fey, but I know funny when I hear it. One of the members said it best, "Every silence does not have to be filled with the sound of your voice...or in this case horrific jokes."
  • The Starved Snacker: Okay...This member brings food to the meetings, and sometimes not so healthy food choices. Heeelllloooo...did you forget that you are attending a WW meeting? I see them with their Starbucks cups brimming with Double-Shot Iced Caramel Frappuccino® Blended White Chocolate Mocha Twist Vanilla Syrup Flavored Espresso Coffee concoctions (not an actual drink). The Starved Snacker's justification for such a delectable drink..."I did good this week, so I'm rewarding myself." Really? It's that type of thinking that fills WW meeting seats. Find another way to reward yourself people!
Lesson learned this week, get my butt up and attend an earlier meeting.

13 comments:

  1. Great description of the WW attendees! I can't believe that someone actually has the balls to bring Starbucks to a meeting!

    Good Luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they do bring their Starbucks. Go figure?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post... Made me smile & I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I could make 1 person smile. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was absolutely hilarious! :-D Your message to fit and healthy people was right on target, too! LOL
    Path to Health

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, also meant to say how much I love that cat photo. Looks a lot like one of our Siamese kitties. And hang in there, you'll hit Onederland very soon!!!
    Path to Health

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha! I love the description of everyone. Keep up the great work. The weight will eventually come off

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting how the group dynamics change at the different meeting times. I would expect the early bird meeting would have the more dedicated and serious people in it that really are there to lose weight and not socialize.

    I don't like those know-it-all types either who always try to outdo the others and upstage the leader.

    Keep up the good work on your weight loss journey--and get to that early meeting to avoid the aggravation!

    Congrats on your SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, it's like a sociology lesson right there at a WW meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh man...that's like my office. we pretty much have all those personas here, some rolled into one person even. craziness. It's like a small scale social experiment or something. I'll bet you're so glad to get back to your regular meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Knowing starbucks, I'm pretty sure that drink has been made before...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never been to a meeting but LOVE this post. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

First off all, THANKS for stopping by and for those of you following...THANKS for following AND indulging my MADNESS. Please feel free to holla back or provide your 2¢. I WILL TRY to respond to ALL comments via email. AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT!

Join the "CUTE as a BUNNY Weight Loss Challenge"

Join the "CUTE as a BUNNY Weight Loss Challenge"
Grab a Button!

Tales from the scale

Total Pageviews

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.