Sunday, January 3, 2010

Off to a Good Start: Goal Setting

So a friend of mine texted me this morning looking for some weight loss help. I gave her a little a starter advice, and she suggested that I write a post about our conversation. So here goes:

I basically told her to start small by setting a couple of realistic, manageable goals. AND, it just so happens, last Saturday's WW meeting discussed goal setting. The leader suggested that goals should be:
  • Positive: Phrase your goal in positive terms (e.g. Each week I will plan my meals.).

  • Specific: Make your goals straightforward and emphasize what you want to happen. Specifics help us to focus our efforts and clearly define what we are going to do.

  • Within your control: You must be able to complete the goal without assistance from anyone.

  • Good fit with your life: Whatever you plan to change must be something you can maintain for the rest of your life (e.g. eating breakfast, cooking more and eating out less).
When setting your goals, think about the benefits. For me the benefits include:
  • motivation
  • direction
  • measure for evaluation
Just as important, make sure you reflect on the pitfalls of goal setting:
  • high exceptions
  • unrealistic expectations
  • overwhelming yourself: Set small 5 pound goals instead of worrying about the BIG number.
So...what's your goal? Get a picture in your mind. What do you want to accomplish? Okay, now write it down.

Well, like everyone else, I set a few goals for myself:
  • Complete a 5K (Double booking myself ruined last year's attempt.)
  • Track my food intake...If I write it, I bite it (So far so good)!
  • Drink the daily required amount of water (and then some) EVERY DAY!

  • PLAN, PLAN, PLAN, PLAN, PLAN and then plan some more! This week, I created a menu. With my menu in mind, I wrote my grocery list and only purchased foods on the list. To save money, I also based my menu on foods already stored in my pantry, freezer and fridge. I created this Turkey Taco Soup, pictured below with food on hand. In addition, I froze a few bowls of the soup to be used later as back-up meals in times of laziness.
Also on the menu, this black bean omelet for breakfast in the morning.

As far as my long term goals:

I picked this card up at one of the Saturday meetings, drove home, and stuck it on my fridge.
My ultimate long term goal is to be a Weight Watchers leader. I hope to one day share my weight loss trials and tribulations with others struggling to lose weight like myself.

11 comments:

  1. happpy black bean omlet morning.

    I tend to rely a lot on my vision board for a place to plop the images of what I want and whom I need/want to become.
    it really motivates me as well.

    here's to a great new year for us both.

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! My small positive goals are to plan all my meals and snacks this week and to lose 2 pounds this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you girl! By the way have you seen a youtube weight loss show called Fatty2slim. You should check it out.

    Back to goal setting: I like the idea of starting small...things within my control. Today my goal is to make healthy choices. The single most important thing you text me yesterday that totally gave me an aha moment was "DON'T OVERHAUL" the kitchen. I always do that and you are right, it sets me up for failure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your blog! Your always so positive and full of inspiation. I know you will be a great WW team leader! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) Love your goal- You will make a GREAT WW leader my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I totally agree that the changes you make have GOT to be something you will stick with.

    You are going to be a great WW leader!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SITS couldn't have picked a better day to feature you. Today I'm getting back to my exercise and healthy eating routine after nearly 8 months off the wagon. Your blog is just the inspiration I need to make sure TODAY reall is the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. back a second time to read the new post! great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tips! I have such a hard time with procrastination and it's something I'm definately trying to work on this year.

    I also share in some of your weight loss woes. My goal is to excersise this year. Maybe I'll get that Carmen Electra workout video you spoke of LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy SITS day!
    I always found the hardest part is keeping track...writing down things never seems to be at the top of my priority list. Keep going!
    Also, I know you've prolly already got a bunch of things from weight watchers for it, but the site Sparkpeople.com was really great when I kept a journal...so if it helps.
    Congrats on your success so far. We're with you!

    ReplyDelete

First off all, THANKS for stopping by and for those of you following...THANKS for following AND indulging my MADNESS. Please feel free to holla back or provide your 2¢. I WILL TRY to respond to ALL comments via email. AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT!

Join the "CUTE as a BUNNY Weight Loss Challenge"

Join the "CUTE as a BUNNY Weight Loss Challenge"
Grab a Button!

Tales from the scale

Total Pageviews

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.